Mature-r Moms Have Their Own Prenatal Vitamin
Something about the whole thing makes me want to do a happy dance, even though it’s unclear to me exactly how it’s different from other natural prenatal vitamins. As a mom-to-be over 35, I’ve seen ZERO positive messages either from the media or medical establishment. As far as they’re all concerned, I’m AMA—”advanced maternal age” or someone with “delayed maternity”—and they don’t mean that as a compliment. I get more tests, more watching, more interventions because I’m at slightly higher risk for complications. But I, specifically, am not, and neither are many of my olderish mama friends—we eat better and take better care of our minds and bodies than many women way younger than us. And what do we get for it? Suspicious articles about “mature moms” and docs who look at us like we’re a liability.
But we’re also a growing phenomenon: A recent L.A. Times article lays it down: “Among American women ages 40 to 44, birthrates have hit their highest point since 1967, data recently released by the National Center for Health Statistics reveal. Births have also become increasingly common among women in their late 30s.”
So, it’s super-awesome to see a smiling, radiant, healthy-looking almost-mama, and a product just for her, or me. The only thing I might change in the ad is that it says “for thirtysomething mothers and their babies.” As someone who is 35+ and just over “thirtysomething,” who knows lots of women in their 40s popping out perfect babies, I might extend the reach. You know, if anyone’s asking. (Also, in the tagline there really should be a comma after “yeah,” but I digress to grammar policing.)
Other than that I love the idea that this could be a trend! More options, acceptance, and products for us women who, for whatever reason, have “delayed” childbearing until we have more resources and wisdom to share. Thanks, Rainbow Light, for joining the party.
- The Name of the Royal Baby Girl Is… - May 4, 2015
- Aww! Justin Timberlake’s Baby’s First Photo - April 20, 2015
- Sweetest Newborn Twins in a Bath Video - February 24, 2015
- Snow Days, Babies, and Jobs—Oh My! - February 2, 2015
- Weird Winter Birth News - February 3, 2014
- A Labor List - September 30, 2013
- Mature-r Moms Have Their Own Prenatal Vitamin - August 26, 2013
- New Study: Eating and Drinking During Labor Is Fine - August 23, 2013
- The Creature Within - August 23, 2013
- Breastfeeding Music Video Awesomeness - August 22, 2013