Top 10 Girls Names of 2017 (So Far)
We took a peek at the top girls names of 2017 (so far anyway), and as with the boys names it’s pretty much the same picks as last year when it comes to most popular names for girls. In fact, the girls list is showing even less variety than the boys. Where they have two new names in the top 10, the girls list shows only one.
Not that we’re complaining. We couldn’t love the current top names for girls more. These most popular girls names are all very pretty, very feminine, and quite classic. Many are old names having a rebirth, like Charlotte. Although there are 10 names on the list, some are so similar that the list feels a bit shorter. It makes sense that parents considering Emma might also be considering Sophia and Olivia. The popular girls hang together. And the sound and style of these names are very representative of the last decade or so in baby girl naming trends.
One thing to note about the girls list is the rise of Amelia. She ended 2016 at number 10, and just four months into 2017 she has made her way to number four. It will be interesting to see where she ends up at year’s end! Amelia is a name that has been steadily climbing throughout the country — the Social Security Administration (SSA) reports nearly 10,000 parents chose Amelia in 2015, its most popular year on record. Is this one of your favorites? It’s a good one!
The name new to this list is Harper, which bumped perennial favorite Emily from the top 10 (so far!). A unisex name used more commonly for girls, Harper has been shooting up the charts since it squeaked the SSA’s top 1000 names in 2004 (at number 887). A little more than a decade later, Harper earned the number 10 spot on their list.
The Top 10 Girls Names of 2017 (So Far)
Which of these popular girls names is your favorite? Would you consider giving your baby girl one of these names?
- Is Your Baby Gate Secure? - April 20, 2017
- How Common is a Unplanned Pregnancy in Your 40s - April 18, 2017
- Top 10 Girls Names of 2017 (So Far) - April 11, 2017
- Top 10 Boys Names for 2017 (So Far) - April 11, 2017
- 9 Great Themes for a First Birthday Party - March 28, 2017
- 10 Fun Holidays to Celebrate with Kids - March 27, 2017
- Gentle C-Sections: The New Trend in Childbirth - March 24, 2017
- What All Moms Need - March 16, 2017
- Great Irish Names for Your Baby - March 15, 2017
- When Is Your Son Too Old to Use the Women’s Restroom? - March 1, 2017